It’s difficult enough finding a school in a foreign country, but finding the right school can seem overwhelming. Caroline Pover — long-time resident, educator, consultant, bestselling author, and award-winning entrepreneur — has supported expatriate women in Japan since 1997. In 2009 she shared her commitment to helping parents find the best school for their child in her guide to international schools in Japan, this year launched her new monthly Japan School News publication, and now she extends her expertise to highly personalised School Search Support Services.
From the moment you realise you need to think about schools, Caroline is on hand to guide parents and children through the entire procedure. With professional yet friendly consultations designed to analyse the child’s needs, knowledgeable explanations of the education system in Japan, and recommendations of schools that best match the family’s needs, values and, to avoid disappointment, have spaces available, parents and children are involved right from the beginning.
Working with over 200 international schools throughout Japan, and with thirteen years’ experience in meeting the needs of thousands of foreign women and their families in Japan, Caroline could be the key to the success of your family’s experience with education in Japan — and beyond.
Conduct a detailed investigation of the family’s needs to determine the best educational options for the child. This is designed to encourage parents and children to feel in control of this new step in their lives, helping them to feel positive about their upcoming move. Includes:
- an interview conducted by phone, on email, or in person,
- completion of a detailed questionnaire to determine all educational preferences,
- a committed focus on the needs of the child and the values of the family,
- explanations of different elements of the international education system in Japan,
- a unique glossary of more than 270 cultural and educational terms specific to Japan,
- a written analysis of the consultation,
- recommendations for schools — with vacancies — to apply to,
- recommendations for tutoring in any areas, if necessary, and
- appropriate feedback to the employer regarding completed procedures.
Prepare parents and children before and after school visits to ensure that the experience is both an enjoyable and productive aspect of their move. Support is provided through:
- arranging appointments for school visits,
- assisting the family in the preparation of relevant questions beforehand,
- accompanying families during the actual visit,
- analysis of each school visit,
- discussion of the next steps to take,
- arranging to see further schools, if necessary,
- requesting application forms, if necessary, and
- providing appropriate feedback to the employer regarding school visits.
Manage all paperwork and procedures necessary for a smooth and successful application. Includes:
- providing support to parents in the completion of application forms,
- editing application forms, where required,
- collection of all supporting documents, such as academic records,
- translation of relevant documents into the language requested by the school,
- ensuring that application fees have been deposited successfully,
- organising interviews with parents and children,
- preparing parents and children through mock interviews, if necessary, and
- providing appropriate feedback to the employer regarding completed procedures.
Provide parental support during what can be an anxious waiting period, and, regardless of the results, offer assistance in taking the next steps. Support includes:
- assistance in making decisions in the event of rejection,
- maintaining regular contact with schools where a child may be on a waiting list,
- applying to additional schools, if required,
- assistance in making a final decision upon acceptance,
- ensuring that all school fees are paid according to deadlines,
- following appropriate procedures for any Corporate Contribution Programmes, where relevant,
- assistance in the acquisition of all school items and supplies necessary for the start of school, and
- providing appropriate feedback to the employer regarding successful placement.
OTHER FAMILY SUPPORT SERVICES
Other ongoing support services include:
- checking in to see how children are progressing at school,
- recommending additional tutoring or special needs support, if necessary,
- recommending after-school programmes or holiday camps of interest,
- the introduction of nannies, babysitters, and home-help services,
- lifestyle consultations helping partners make the most of their lives in Japan,
- support in making your house a home — guaranteed not to look like every other expat’s(!),
- coaching on networking skills and options in Tokyo, and
- career consultations especially for the relocating partner.